Following are the Intentions of our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI for the month of September, courtesy of the Apostleship of Prayer:
- Politicians. That politicians may always act with honesty, integrity, and love for the truth.
- Help for the Poorest Churches. That Christian communities may have a growing willingness to send missionaries, priests, and lay people, along with concrete resources, to the poorest Churches.
Since the 16th century, the month of September has been set aside to honor Our Lady of Sorrows, whose feast will be celebrated on Saturday, September 15th. At the foot of the Cross, the Blessed Virgin Mary suffered a martyrdom of the heart because of Our Lord’s torments and the greatness of her love for Him. As Vatican II teaches,
“[Mary] advanced in her pilgrimage of faith, and faithfully persevered in her union with her Son unto the Cross, where she stood, in keeping with the divine plan, grieving exceedingly with her only begotten Son, uniting herself with a maternal heart with His sacrifice, and lovingly consenting to the immolation of this Victim which she herself had brought forth.”
The Church has traditionally recognized seven sorrows of Mary:
(1) The Prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:33-35)
(2) The Flight into Egypt (Matthew 3:13-15)
(3) The Loss of Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2:41-52)
(4) The Meeting of Jesus and Mary on the Way of the Cross (John 19:17)
(5) The Crucifixion (John 19:25-30)
(6) The Taking Down of the Body of Jesus from the Cross (John 19:31-37)
(7) Jesus Laid in the Tomb (John 19:38-42)
Click here for some traditional devotions to Our Lady of Sorrows.